"The House", was founded in 1525 by Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, and was earlier called Cardinal's College. In 1546 Henry VIII renamed it Christ Church. This college is the largest and most visited of all Oxford's Colleges. In the middle of the College is Tom Quad, the largest quad in Oxford, and Tom Tower, which was named after Thomas of Canterbury. The upper tower was designed by Sir Christopher Wren in 1682. A 7-ton bell in the tower chimes 101 times every night at 9:05pm, the time when the original 101 students were called back for into their quarters for curfew. As Oxford is 5 minutes west of Greenwich, this is actually 9pm Oxford time.
Nobody has marked this note useful