Trip to Orkney 2004
Island Stroma, situated 2 miles from John o' Groats, on the north coast of Scotland. Uninhabited (last family have left the house in 1962,two years after opened Dounreay power station) and owned by farmer who uses it to graze sheep.
The Stroma Lighthouse is at the northern tip of the island. It was built in 19th century. In 1941 been damage by machine-gunof an enemy plane, but quickly been repaired by the lightkeepers. In 1972, the light was converted to electric operation , and from 1997 operation is automated.
The water around the island are very dangerous, there are about sixty shipwrecks, last from 1994.
- Copyright: Bartlomiej Przezdziecki (bartekp) (4696)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2011-09-15
- Categories: Nature, Transportation, Architecture
- Camera: KODAK CX6330
- Exposure: f/9.5, 1/500 seconds
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Lighthouse [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2011-08-15 10:43