Photos

Photographer's Note

Ok - normal service resumed! This is Anglesey Breakwater. An easy walk to do - no hills - dead flat - thought I was in Holland not North Wales!

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

"Holyhead Breakwater is situated at the north-western end of Holyhead in the county of Anglesey in North Wales, and is the longest breakwater in the United Kingdom. It is 1.7 miles (2.7 km) long and took 28 years to build. Work began in 1845 and it was officially opened on 19 August 1873 by Albert Edward, Prince of Wales. On average, 1,300 men were employed to build it and seven million tons of limestone from Moelfre, Anglesey were used in its construction. The breakwater, which is accessible in good weather, has a promenade on top which leads from Soldier’s Point and ends at a lighthouse.

The lighthouse was probably designed by John Hawkshaw, the superintendent engineer who was responsible for overseeing the Holyhead harbour works from 1857 to 1873. The lighthouse was completed in 1873 as work on the breakwater was coming to an end. The lighthouse tower has a roll-moulded string-course projecting above the first floor level and a moulded cornice supports a walkway around a circular lantern which is surmounted by a weathervane and finial. The lantern has inclined glazing bars and the light has a range of fourteen miles.

The three storey black and white tower is unusual because it is square. It measures 22.25 feet (6.78 m) on each side, is 63 feet (19 m) high and rests 70 feet (21 m) above the high water mark. It has chamfered angles and a stepped plinth set on an oval platform on the breakwater. A square design was chosen because it made the living quarters more comfortable. Inside, much of the original living accommodation remains intact. The lighthouse was manned until November 1961 and was automated in the same year. One of the last keepers was David John Williams, who later became a Trinity House speaker giving talks on the service.

The lighthouse is the responsibility of Holyhead port authority, which is now Stena Line. Like most other lights in Gwynedd, it is now operated from the Holyhead Control Centre of Trinity House. According to Douglas B. Hague, this lighthouse is important architecturally because it forms part of the ambitious engineering works of a 'harbour of refuge'. "

Photo Information
Viewed: 1034
Points: 44
Discussions
Additional Photos by Michael Wright (mjw364) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 516 W: 6 N: 1363] (6992)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH