The Tolbooth in Edinburgh's Canongate was built in 1591. It was here that the tolls or public dues were collected.
It also served as the council house, courtroom and prison for the Canongate until a new jail was built on Calton Hill and most of the prisoners were transferred there.
The currnt, large clock face is dated 1820 and it replaced an earlier clock from the 17th Century.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Peter Damer (peterd) (734)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2009-10-10
- Categories: Architecture, Artwork
- Camera: Canon EOS 350D, Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Lee Filter System
- Exposure: f/4.5, 1/80 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2009-10-24 9:41