Photos

Photographer's Note

This wall mural depicting the story of The Children of Lir from an old Irish legend was taken in the North Antrim village of Cushendall.

The story of the Children of Lir is one of the best known tales of Ireland. This story tells of Lir and his wife Aobh and their four children called Aodh, Fionnghuala, Fiachra and Conn. Lir's wife died and he married again. His new wife was called Aoife and she became the children's stepmother. At first she loved them dearly but after a time she grew jealous of their father's affection for them.

One day she cast them away and put them under a spell. They were turned into four white swans at Lake Derravarragh in County Westmeath. They remained there for four hundred years. Then they flew away and settled on the Sea of Moyle between Ireland and Scotland, where they stayed for three hundred years in cold and misery. From there they spent three years in Erris, County Mayo where they endured even further sorrow.

At the end of that time they returned to their old home at Sídh Fionnachaidh in County Armagh. Their father was long dead and the place was desolate and empty. They flew off again to Erris and there met the Christian Missionary, St. Mochaomhóg who treated them with great kindness.

At last their period of enchantment came to an end and they were turned into three withered old men and an old woman. The saint baptised them and they died peacefully. They were buried together.

lousat, ikeharel, Royaldevon, mcmtanyel, Cricri, pajaran, ourania, adramad, jhm has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Arthur Butcher (Kugart) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 265 W: 0 N: 536] (1778)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2013-10-12
  • Categories: Artwork
  • Exposure: f/5.0, 1/320 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2013-11-27 1:11
Viewed: 556
Points: 28
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Arthur Butcher (Kugart) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 265 W: 0 N: 536] (1778)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH