Photos

Photographer's Note

Rugby School, is a co-educational boarding school located in the town of Rugby, Warwickshire, England. It is one of the oldest independent schools in Britain.

It was founded in 1567 as a provision in the will of Lawrence Sheriff, who had made his fortune supplying groceries to Queen Elizabeth I of England. The influence of Rugby and its pupils and masters in the nineteenth century was enormous. It is one of the best known schools in the country and seen as a leading innovator in education.

Since Lawrence Sheriff lived in Rugby and the neighbouring Brownsover, the school was intended to be a free grammar school for the boys of those towns. Gradually, however, as Rugby's fame spread it was no longer desirable to have only local boys attending and the nature of the school shifted, and so a new school – Lawrence Sheriff Grammar School – was founded in 1878 to continue Lawrence Sheriff's original intentions; that school receives a substantial proportion of the endowment income from Lawrence Sheriff's estate every year.

Rugby School continues to offer scholarship places for outstanding students from the local community, who come from state (maintained) primary schools in the immediate vicinity of Rugby. The school's new Arnold Foundation, named after probably its most famous master – Dr Thomas Arnold, has been established to enable it to offer similar support to children from outside the Rugby area. The core of the school (which contains School House, and featured in “Tom Brown's School Days”) was completed in 1815 and is built around the Old Quad (quadrangle), with its fine and graceful Georgian architecture. Especially notable rooms are the Upper Bench (an intimate space with a book-lined gallery), the Old Hall of School House, and the Old Big School (which makes up one side of the quadrangle, and was once the location for teaching all junior pupils). Thomas Hughes (like his fictional hero, Tom Brown) once carved his name onto the hands of the school clock, situated on a tower above the Old Quad. The polychromatic school chapel, new quadrangle, Temple Reading Room, Macready Theatre and Gymnasium were designed by the well-known Victorian Gothic revival architect William Butterfield in 1875, and the smaller Memorial Chapel was dedicated in 1922.

(Source: Wikipedea)

ikeharel, saxo042, Charo, kordinator, subhendu_bagchi has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1329
Points: 30
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 8997 W: 63 N: 25297] (112601)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH