Just a simple shot of a very famous landmark. The Tower of London, or the White Tower as this specific building is called, is one of the UK's top tourist attractions and one of the most famous landmarks in the world. The White Tower is the oldest portion of the Tower of London (completed in 1100 AD), but contrary to what I thought before I visited, it's only one of many buildings that make up the complex. Also contrary to what most people believe, the crown jewels are not kept here. (They're kept in the building in the background, under high security).
You could make the case that Britain's transformation from northern European backwater to ruler of the world first began when the builder of this tower, William I of Conqueror fame, backed up his claim to the throne of England by invading in 1066.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Clark Monson (cdmonson) (5244)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2009-05-31
- Categories: Castles, Architecture
- Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X AF Pro DX, Digital ISO 100, Cokin 77mm Circular Polarizer
- Exposure: f/9.0, 1/80 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Travelogue: Northern Europe
- Date Submitted: 2012-10-18 19:10