A lighthouse was first proposed for this area of the North Cornish coast as early as 1809 there being no light at that time to guide ships trading in the Bristol Channel other than the Longships to the south and the old Lundy light to the north.
The position was further considered by Trinity House in 1813 and again in 1832, but it was not until 1st December 1847 that an oil light comprising wicks backed with reflectors, was first lit at Trevose Head.
The light is situated on the north west extremity of the head, with gigantic cliffs of grey granite rising sheer from the sea to a height of 150 feet or more. The area, like so much of the Devon and Cornish coastline is constantly threatened by sea mists that make even the most powerful lights seem like candles. This makes it difficult to understand why a fog signal was not installed at that time.
Nobody has marked this note useful
Critiques | Translate
cargus (6468) 2011-07-16 11:03
An excellent scenery rendered in gorgeous colors, good handling of light and clarity, excellent pictures , well done.!!
i9l2y1m8a8t3 (4435) 2011-07-16 19:21
A very beautiful lighthouse photograph. The HDR effect is superb, gives us a very nice details and a strong mood on the photo. Thanks for sharing.
Have a great day!
prasun984 (5590) 2011-07-16 23:15
fantastic landscape shot with good composition by the watch tower at the bank of the sea under the nice cloudy textures sky...
good light management with nice exposure controlled...colour contrast & sharpness is also nice...with nice chosen POV...
V Good shot...with nice Note...
Have a great Sunday :)