Magdalene College, courtyard detail.
There has been a continuous tradition of academic study on the site of Magdalene College (pronounced "maudlyn") for more than 550 years.
In 1428 Abbot Lytlington of Crowland Abbey near Peterborough was licensed by Letters Patent of King Henry VI to acquire the site, so that a hostel could be established in Cambridge for Benedictine student-monks. Aiming to put themselves at a distance from the temptations of town, the Benedictines were attracted by having their "Monks' Hostel" north of the river. They chose a location which had been inhabited in prehistoric times.
Partial quote from: http://www.magd.cam.ac.uk/college-history/
Nobody has marked this note useful