One of a few surviving Jewish gravestones at the old Jewish cemetery of Rohatyn.
After the text got translated it was revealed that this is a gravestone of a child. It is in Hebrew and is dated 9 Adar the year 5652 [8 March 1892]. It reads: the child Yitzchak Elimelech, Son of the learned of rabbinic family our teacher Yehoshua may his light shine May his soul be bound in the bond of everlasting life.
Besides destroying the Jewish people, Nazis also hammered down most of Jewish gravestones in Ukraine. Hence in many towns very few Jewish gravestones survived.
- Copyright: Roman Isl (islendingur) (50)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2004-08-12
- Categories: Artwork, Ruins
- Camera: Canon PowerShot A60
- Exposure: f/3.5, 1/1000 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): All Saints Tributes to deceased [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2009-06-12 0:36