The Picture was taken early en afternoon. The Tourbillon Castle was built sometime between 1290 and 1308 by the Bishop of Sion, Boniface de Challant, as his principal residence. A large part of the castle was destroyed by the Patriots of the Valais in 1416. The castle was then rebuilt in 1477 by Bishop Guillaume VI of Raron, wanting to build a chapel and an exterior wall built with battlements. In later centuries, the military importance of the castle decreased, and a gigantic fire in Sion reduced the castle to ashes in 1788.