Jet d'eau (Water Fountain)
In 1886, a company located at the end of the lake used to pump and distribute water under pressure to provide the craftsmen’s machines in former times. At night-fall the need was decreasing and in order to diminish the pressure inside the canalizations, a litlle hole existed at the extremity of this pumping factory installed at La Coulouvrenière resulting in a water fountain of a few meters.
In 1891, the City of Geneva decided to install the Jet d’eau (Water Fountain) where it is today, on the Rade, together with electric lighting. But it is only since 1930 that it was permanently lit.
To project half a cubic meter of water per second up to 140 meters high requires two powerful groups of motorpumps representing a global weight of over 16 tons and a total power of close to 1000 kilowatts, fed by an electric tension of 2400 volts. The water is drawn in a circular water-sump and is directed towards an exit pipe where the speed reaches 200 km/h (130 miles per hour).
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Pascal Rouget (pascalrouget) (393)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2005-10-09
- Categories: Daily Life
- Camera: Olympus C-350 Zoom, SanDisk SD 2GB
- Exposure: f/4.6, 1/500 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2008-10-21 0:38