Photos

Photographer's Note

Skeppsholm Bridge detail & Strandvagen (in the background), Stockholm

Skeppsholmsbron (English: "The Skeppsholm Bridge") is in central Stockholm, Sweden, connecting Blasieholmen to Skeppsholmen.
The bridge, 165 metres long and 9.5 metres wide, consists of a 5.5 metre wide roadway flanked by 2 metre pathways, and is divided into 5 compartments. It was the first forging iron bridge to be constructed in Sweden, manufactured by Motala Verkstad in 1861.
The first bridge to connect Skeppsholmen to the rest of the city was a wooden bridge on poles, simply called Holmbron ("The Islet Bridge") and provided with a drawbridge, constructed by the admiralty in 1638-1640 when the camp of the Swedish Navy was relocated from Blasieholmen to Skeppsholmen. In 1822 the bridge was damaged in a fire, and subsequently replaced by a temporary pontoon bridge. Funded directly and still owned by the state, the present steel bridge was finally inaugurated in 1861.
In 1935 the bridge together with other building and structures on Skeppsholmen and Kastellholmen were classified as historical landmarks, thus prohibiting replacing the bridge or altering its exterior, a decision nevertheless reassessed in the 1990s.

Strandvägen (in the background)

Strandvägen is a boulevard created that was created in the second half of the 19th century in Stockholm's Östermalm district. The boulevard, which looks out over the water, is lined with grand, almost palatial buildings that were designed by some of the top architects of the day.
Strandvägen ('beach road') has a length of 1200 meters (0.75 mi) and runs east from Nybroplan to the Djurgĺrden Bridge.

History

In the mid 19th century Strandvägen was known as Ladugĺrds Strandgata (Barn beach street). It was an unappealing, muddy street with dilapidated houses built along an old wooden quay. When the Nibrokajen, the quay on the east side of the street was in need of repair, the suggestion was made to build a new, wide and modern quay all the way to the Djurgĺrden bridge. This plan revived an old idea to turn the Ladugĺrds Strandgata into a prestigious boulevard, Strandvägen. In 1861, after long discussions, the king approves the creation of Strandvägen. The goal was to create a street 'unparalleled in Europe', and have it completed before the inauguration of the Arts and Craft Exhibition of 1897, held in Djurgĺrden.
Construction started the following year and fifteen years later, with the planting of three rows of lime trees, the 35 meter wide street was completed. Strandvägen became one of the city's most desirable addresses and developers built magnificent mansions designed by some of the country's best architects. Soon many of Stockholm's most affluent citizens moved to this new street. (Source: aviewoncities/Stockholm)

Photo Information
Viewed: 1670
Points: 48
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH