Image from 'ombord' m/s Waxholm III of another ferry heading out into the archipelago (skärgård).
Wikipedia: "Tusen öar i Stockholms skärgård.
The archipelago extends from Stockholm roughly 60 kilometers to the east. In a north-south direction, it mainly follows the coastline of the provinces Södermanland and Uppland, reaching roughly from Öja island, south of Nynäshamn to Väddö north of Norrtälje. It is separated from Åland by a stretch of water named South Kvarken. A separate group of islands lies further north, near the town of Öregrund. There are approximately 30,000 islands and islets. Some of its more well known islands are Dalarö, Finnhamn, Grinda, Husarö, Ingarö, Isö, Ljusterö, Möja, Nämdö, Rödlöga, Tynningö, Utö, Svartsö and Värmdö.
The biggest towns of the archipelago, apart from Stockholm, are Nynäshamn, Vaxholm and Norrtälje. The village of Ytterby, famous among chemists for naming no fewer than four chemical elements (erbium, terbium, ytterbium and yttrium), is situated on Resarö in the Stockholm Archipelago.
The shipping routes from the Baltic to Stockholm pass through the archipelago. There are three main entrances suitable for deep-draught craft, namely, those near Landsort, Sandhamn, and Söderarm.
The landscape has been shaped – and is still being shaped – by land elevation. It wasn't until the Viking Age that the archipelago began to assume its present day contours. The islands rise by about three millimeters each year. In 1719 the archipelago had an estimated population of 2,900, consisting mostly of fishermen. Today the archipelago is a popular holiday destination with some 50,000 holiday cottages (owned mainly by Stockholmers). The Stockholm Archipelago Foundation, dedicated to the preservation of the nature and culture of the archipelago, owns some 15 % of its total area.
The inhabitants in the archipelago from around mid 1400 up to the time when the second world war ended, were combined farmers and fishermen. The fishing in the outer archipelago was quite intensive during springtime and autumn during 1450 until mid 1800, and a lot of fishermen lived for long periods in the outer islands because of the long distance to their permanent houses in the inner archipelago. The combined farming and fishing culture lasted until around 1950-1955 when the younger generation, born during and directly after the war started to leave the archipelago and look for jobs in the cities on the main land. Today most of the small farms on the islands are closed and the fish industry has almost disappeared."
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Trevor Moffiet (trevormoffiet) (1796)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2009-07-12
- Categories: Daily Life, Transportation
- Camera: OLYMPUS E30
- Exposure: f/5.6, 1/320 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2012-05-24 1:57