Photos

Photographer's Note

View to the Kalmar Castle

The history of this legendary castle stretches back over 800 years. During the 12th century a defense tower was erected to protect against pirates and other sea-faring enemies. A harbour was constructed and in the course of time a castle grew around the original tower. Kalmar Castle soon became “The Key to the Kingdom”, a significant defensive fortification on the Danish border with an essential part in international, political life.
The Castle acquired its present appearance in the 16th century, when the Vasa kings Erik XIV and Johan III rebuilt it in the style of a Renaissance palace and furnished it in a continental manner. The last king who lived in the Castle and issued governmental documents was Charles XI. He was on the throne from 1673 to 1692.
Kalmar Castle played a fundamental role in Nordic policy already in 1397, especially as the meeting place for the signing of the Union of Kalmar. On July 20th, 1397 Queen Margaret I signed the controversial yet memorable pact which joined all of the Nordic countries under a common ruler. In 1997 the city of Kalmar and the Castle celebrated the 600th anniversary of the Union of Kalmar.
In 1856, architect Fredrik Wilhelm Scholander (1816–1881) initiated restoration work at Kalmar Castle. His pupil Helgo Zettervall continued restoring Kalmar Castle in the 1880s. Architect Carl Möller drew up the plans and other documents. The work began in 1885 and by 1891 the castle had gained the silhouette it bears today. In 1919 professor Martin Olsson was charged with the continuing restoration of earthworks, the moat, the bridge and the drawbridge. Work continued until 1941, when the castle was once more surrounded by water. Today, it is one of Sweden's best preserved renaissance castles and is open to the public.

Kalmar

Kalmar is a city in Småland in the south-east of Sweden, situated by the Baltic Sea. It had 36,392 inhabitants in 2010 and is the seat of Kalmar Municipality. It is also the capital of Kalmar County, which comprises 12 municipalities with a total of 233,090 inhabitants (2011).
From the thirteenth to the seventeenth centuries, Kalmar was one of Sweden's most important cities. Between 1602 and 1913 it was the episcopal see of Kalmar Diocese, with a bishop, and the Kalmar Cathedral from 1702 is still a fine example of classicistic architecture. It became a fortified city, with the still mighty Kalmar Castle as the center. After the Treaty of Roskilde in 1658, Kalmar's importance diminished, until the industry sector was initiated in the 19th century. The city is home to parts of Linnaeus University.
Geographically Kalmar is the main route to the island of Öland thanks to the Öland Bridge. (Source: Kalmar & wikipedia)

ChrisJ, lakshmip1949, jhm, jlbrthnn, bukitgolfb301, danos, Cricri, siamesa, francio64 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1433
Points: 44
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH