Photos

Photographer's Note

Lund Cathedral

The Lund Cathedral (Swedish: Lunds domkyrka) is the Lutheran cathedral in Lund, Scania, Sweden. It is the seat of the bishop of Lund of the Church of Sweden.

Lund Cathedral was consecrated in 1145, and contains many well-known artefacts and features of considerable historical interest.
The building of the Cathedral actually began some 65 years earlier in 1080. Its first Archbishop, Ascer, consecrated the high alter in the Crypt in 1123; and his successor, Archbishop Eskil, then consecrated the main cathedral building in 1145.
During the 16th century the Cathedral was restored by the West-phalian stone mason, Adam van Düren, and his sculptured figures can be seen in several parts of the building. In the 19th century the Cathedral was again thoroughly renovated, first by C.G. Brunius, and then by Helgo Zettervall. Further restoration work was undertaken in the period 1954-63 by Eiler Graebe.
Among the Cathedral´s many attractions, there is the magnificent horological artistic masterpiece, Horologium mirabil Lundense, dating from 1424. This early time and dating machine is still in working order with it rotating mechanical figures marking the passage of time. The Crypt is yet guarded by the figure of Giant Finn. There are also three rare bronze pillars with mounted statues from around 1240. The finely carved oak choir stalls are from the middle of the 14th century; and the majestic altar dates from 1398. On the other hand, the fine Absidens mosaic by Joakim Skovgaard, is from the 1920´s.

Art and Architecture

The church was built of sandstone following the Romanesque style of Lombardy (Northern Italy) and the Rhine region (Germany). These influences are evident in the floorplan, the crypt and the arched gallery that decorate the upper floor of the apse.

The towers

The cathedral's towers stand 55 meters high and are, with their pyramidical roofs, a landmark on the skyline of Lund and clearly visible from the surrounding wide plain. The towers are not open to the general public. The oldest church bell was made in 1513.

The entrance

Two bronze doors built by Carl Johan Dyfverman serve as the main entrance. They hold 24 reliefs with motives from the Bible, particularly the Old Testament. Above the doorway, a concrete pediment has three holy men as motives: Jesus Christ, Canute IV of Denmark, and Saint Lawrence.

Interior

As a typical Romanesque building, Lund Cathedral is distinctively dark, with only small windows to allow sunshine to pass through. The Latin-cross church has three aisles and a transept. The quire (under the crossing) has splendid gothic choir stalls from the 1370s. The gothic winged-altarpiece of the main chapel of the apse dates from 1398.
The cathedral's south aisle has an information counter, a globe of light and various exhibitions.

Lund

Lund is a city in the province of Scania, southern Sweden. The town has 82,800 inhabitants in 2010, out of a municipal total of 110,824. It is the seat of Lund Municipality, Skåne County. The city is believed to have been founded around 990, when Scania belonged to Denmark. It soon became a major Christian center of the Baltic Sea region, at a time when the area was still a frontier area for Christian mission, and within Scandinavia and especially Denmark through the Middle Ages. From 1103 it was the seat of an archbishop. At the center of the city stands the towering Lund Cathedral, built ca 1090-1145.
Lund University, established 1666, is today one of Scandinavia's largest institutions for education and research. (Source: Lund & Wikipedia)

Photo Information
Viewed: 1320
Points: 46
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH