Photos

Photographer's Note

Within this wonderful Monastery of Santa Maria de Guadalupe highlights its Mudejar cloister or of Miracles, built between 1389 and 1405, around which are the bedrooms and refectory. It has a rectangular shape with pointed horseshoe arches or tumid square pillars with chamfered edges.

In the center of the courtyard is a small temple built in 1405 by Mudejar Fray Juan de Sevilla, and on its walls exhibits a collection of paintings related to the miracles of the Virgin.

The tomb of Fray Gonzalo de Illescas, prior of the monastery, is the work of Egas Cueman and was sculpted between 1458 and 1460.

The old refectory of the monastery is today the Embroidery Museum, opened in 1928 by Alfonso XIII, which displays more than two hundred pieces made in the workshops of the monastery

In the same Mudejar cloister is illuminated Museum, considered among the best in the world, exhibiting large illuminated books of the fourteenth to eighteenth from the scriptorium of the monastery. Among them was the Book of Hours Prior, XVI century.

The shrine of the Virgin, Baroque, contains paintings by Luca Giordano. But projecting the set of paintings by Zurbarán, single of his career that currently exists in its original location, the Sacristy and an adjacent room.

----------------------------------------------

Dentro de este maravilloso Monasterio de Santa Maria de Guadalupe destaca su Claustro Mudéjar o de los Milagros, construido entre 1389 y 1405, en torno al cual se sitúan los dormitorios y el refectorio. Tiene forma rectangular con arcos de herradura apuntados o túmidos de pilares cuadrados con aristas en chaflán.

En el centro del patio se encuentra un templete mudéjar construido en 1405 por Fray Juan de Sevilla, y en sus paredes se expone una colección de lienzos relacionados con los milagros de la Virgen.

El sepulcro de Fray Gonzalo de Illescas, prior del monasterio, es obra de Egas Cueman y fue esculpido entre 1458 y 1460.

El antiguo refectorio del monasterio es hoy en día el Museo de Bordados, inaugurado en 1928 por Alfonso XIII, donde se exponen más de doscientas piezas elaboradas en los talleres del monasterio.

En el mismo claustro mudéjar se encuentra el Museo de Miniados, considerado entre los mejores del mundo, donde se exponen libros miniados de grandes dimensiones de los siglos XIV al XVIII provenientes del scriptorium del monasterio. Destaca entre ellos el Libro de las Horas del Prior, del siglo XVI.

El camarín de la virgen, de estilo barroco, contiene pinturas de Luca Giordano. Pero sobresale el conjunto de pinturas de Zurbarán, único de toda su carrera que subsiste actualmente en su emplazamiento original, la Sacristía y una sala anexa.

Photo Information
Viewed: 918
Points: 62
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 4813 W: 5 N: 7864] (36277)
  • Provence-Alpes-Cote-dAzur photo
    #
  • Provence-Alpes-Cote-dAzur photo
    #
  • Provence-Alpes-Cote-dAzur photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH