Photos

Photographer's Note

The origins of the Station of Atocha - first that had Madrid - go back on February 9, 1851, date in which there was inaugurated the second iron line of the country between Madrid and the locality of Aranjuez, across a route of 49 kilometers. From Madrid there was going out the train of a simple pier of wood that was located along with the Walk of Atocha, and that passed the time, has finished with turning at the most emblematic station of the city.
In 1856, the Railroad company Madrid – Saragossa – Alicante (Company MZA) took charge of this primitive pier to turn it into the head of a line that was joining Madrid with the Levant. For this intention the MZA he entrusted to the French engineer Lenoir the construction of a new station, which would be inaugurated in 1865.
The spectacular expansion that had the railroad during these years, did that soon the building of Lenoir was remaining small, from what in 1883, the MZA raised the construction of another new station, bigger and capable.
After rejecting in 1883 a project realized by Gerardo de la Puente, in 1889 the definitive project was approved for the new station, being awarded to the engineer Alberto del Palacio. The works, which began in 1890, were consisting of a big ship of iron and crystal for routes and platforms, and two cubic parallel buildings for box offices and other dependencies. Of his structure, the element that more he emphasizes is the covering of the principal ship, which calculated by the engineer Saint-James, presents a few measurements of 152 meters long, 48 of light and 27 of height. Inaugurated in December, 1892, it kept on depending on the MZA until in 1941 it was nationalized and integrated in the state monopoly of the RENFE.
After the reform realized by Rafael Moneo between 1984 and 1992, at present the Station of Atocha is a complex formed by two stations; the ancient one and the piece of news. The piece of news, it is the destined one for the railroad traffic – terminal of the BIRD, length trip and network of outskirts-, whereas the ancient one has been dedicated to offices of RENFE and to a commercial complex and of free time, in which there has settled a tropical garden that lodges more than 7000 plants of 400 species.

photoray, jjcordier has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Ra Fer (Rafer) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 859 W: 141 N: 530] (14883)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2013-06-25
  • Categories: Transportation
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2014-05-20 5:04
Viewed: 334
Points: 16
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Ra Fer (Rafer) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 859 W: 141 N: 530] (14883)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH