The Charterhouse of Scala is located in the village of the same name, municipality of La Morera de Montsant.
La Cartuja de Scala Dei Escaladei or was a Carthusian monastery in the region of Priorat ( Tarragona). Founded in the twelfth century , it is considered that was the first monastery of the Iberian Peninsula. Its origin dates back to 1194 when King Alfonso II donated the land on which the monastery was later lifted . Subsequently successive renovations were made until the eighteenth century in which there were three cloisters and up to 30 cells. It was a center of religious interest and had an important school of painting led by Joaquín Juncosa . The current name of the county , Priory , comes from the existence of this monastery , although the current territory is less extensive than the original domains of the monastery . In 1835 after the confiscation community which resulted in the destruction of the whole left .
Today, one can visit the ruins where you can admire the Baroque portal of the Mother of God, the church and a reconstructed cell has own furniture and utensils of monastic life , allowing us to imagine the way of life of the Carthusian monks . It is located at the foot of the Sierra de Montsant , place of scenic beauty .