This curious structure is a mailbox. Originally sculptured by the Catalan architect Lluís Domènech i Montaner, its situated in the facade of the Lawyers College in Barcelona. It is said that the original order to Domènech by the lawyers was to make a mailbox that would represent the spirit of the servants of the law. And he did so, but not the way they were thinking! Domènech sculptured some swallows to show that Justice pretends to be fast but and at the right bottom he set a turtle, indicating the real velocity of Justice.
An other option of the story claims that the same allegory applies to the speed of the mail services.
- Copyright: Yiannis Mantas (yiannisscheidt) (188)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2008-05-21
- Categories: Daily Life, Humorous, Architecture, Artwork
- Exposure: f/4.5, 1/80 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2014-02-24 4:56