The lighthouse of Cape Trafalgar is a white, circular tower 34 meters tall, and 51 meters above sea level, taking his light a range of 22 nautical miles.
The current lighthouse was built in 1860 and underwent refurbishments, most importantly the restructuring of its optical apparatus in 1929.
In Roman times, where today stands the lighthouse, there was a temple dedicated to the God Juno, there was even an altar of sacrifices in his honors. The temple is submerged in the waters of the Cape, but is visited by divers in the 9th century; the Arabs constructed a watchtower whose remains can still be seen beside the lighthouse.
The Cape Trafalgar whose name has its origin in Arabic taraf al-gharb, meaning Cape of the West, is located in the municipality of Barbate, Cadiz province in Spain, and is known primarily by the naval battle that took place there between Franco-Spanish forces and the British Navy in October 21, 1805, won by the British.
This victory gave origin to the name of one of the squares more London tourist "Trafalgar Square" where we celebrate annually this British victory.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Joao Correia (sogal) (1331)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-04-23
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: FujiFilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Fujinon 30X / 24-700 mm Eq. f.8-6.6, Hoya PRO1 Digital Circular PL
- Exposure: f/5.0, 1/280 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2012-07-18 0:40