Photos

Photographer's Note

Hello friends and colleagues , today I present a composition in Caleta beach with a piece of the building of the resort, the beach and anchored boats , typical of this beautiful place in the Cadiz capital hope you like it , then some letters on the spa .

The Spa building of Our Lady of La Palma and the Royal , built in the twenties , is characterized by its location on the beach of La Caleta in the town of Cádiz ( Spain ) and its long lateral galleries that seem to embrace the sea.

It was opened in 1926 and replaced the traditional baths Real, installing wood existed in the early nineteenth century , along with those who also stood those of Palma, of similar structure , which were subsequently consolidated under the name of Royal and Palma.

The Project:
The poor condition of the barracks led the council convene in 1924 a competition to build a new spa . This project aimed to provide an alternative entertainment , beach and swimming in the sea to the population living in the old town saving you the hassle and expense supposed to move to the beach Balneario Queen Victoria.

Among the contestants renowned architect Juan Talavera was , but the proposal chosen was Enrique García Cañas. She worked on the provincial architect Juan José Romero Aranda , who introduced some modifications. Apparently also introduced modifications of the works the contractor , the engineer constructor Levenfeld Alberto Spencer.

According to the architect Juan José Jiménez :
" ... The expression of the reinforced concrete structure , manifested abroad without concealment , when it was customary to hide under the decoration, is a significant step towards the aesthetics of modernism ." Building is implanted at the site with a large sensitivity : supported entirely on thin pillars embedded in the sand, so that high tide washes , forming a semicircle open sea , towards the western horizon where the castle and lighthouse of San Sebastian stands . This semicircle is separated from the line of the city wall , not hiding or desvirtuándola . Access to the building is from the light canopy entrance , across a bridge over the arena.La open semicircular shape, this classic buildings ( Praeneste , Palladio , Royal Crescent ) , also points to spas Brighton , which also has its echo in some ways ( the domes ) . Is this growing form that causes the powerful image of the building, so rooted in the city and in Cadiz , part of the facade of the town towards the sea , visible from the road faro.La decoration ranges from the art- nouveau and regionalist concepts that containment fail to compete with modern industrial aesthetic artifact of reinforced concrete. Perhaps the greatest empoción producing architecture is due to the stark contrast between the concrete and direct the new molding technique of the twentieth century , and with which delizadeza implanted at the site.

The Building
It is a reinforced concrete construction has two distinct nuclei :
The entrance pavilion , built on the wall .
The spa itself was built on stilts on the beach .

It consists of a central region flanked by towers topped by onion domes , from which depart two curved wings , covered pavilions at the ends open domes . In the whole modernist influence is obvious , but it is also evident the eastern historicism typical of the British spas. Presents few decorative elements , highlighting the tile panel depicting the Virgin de la Palma, painted by Juan Ruiz de Luna.

history:
Its use as spa was opening for other purposes depending on the phasing out of the use of such facilities . Between 1936 and 1943 it housed a Naval School of Arrows . He also served as a cinema .

In 1958 the Provincial Government transferred ownership of Balneario de la Palma an entrepreneur , José Paredes González de la Torre , who thereafter was devoted both related to its operation as bath home for banquets activities parties, etc. .

In 1975 a project was developed to modernize facilities and better tailor it to their uses of hospitality . The main purpose of the project was developing the use of edifcio regardless of beach activities , on the main floor , for a remodel classrooms to allow large banquets , conferences, exhibitions, cultural activities, shows , etc poryecto . This project finally was not carried out by finally not have the necessary authorizations .

The progressive deterioration of the structure of the property due to the low quality of concrete led to its abandonment in 1975 , leaving the Spa largely demolished with consequent acceleration of its degradation. This situation sparked controversy about the desirability of pulling it back or definitively , that issue was settled with the declaration as Cultural Interest ( BIC ) in 1990 by the Ministry of Culture of the Junta de Andalucía. Initiates procedures for rehabilitation several possibilities were shuffled in story to its final destination. For example , the possibility of building an indoor pool was studied. This new proposal then in Cadiz, was cer ta form a restoration also use the Spa and profitability was assured as evidenced by economic studies conducted . It is unknown whether the municipal rejection of the project was due to political reasons or arguments consistent . The fate of the building was once again suspended a good season, and the Ministry opted for the execution of emergency works , shoring and awaiting specific project definition bindings. Finally it was decided an administrative use since become the seat of the Centre for Underwater Archaeology of the Andalusian Historical Heritage Institute .

restoration :
The restoration focused on the most significant elements that remained standing ie central towers, pavilions hexagonal ends of the wings, and the whole front bay and the entrance pavilion . The reconstruction focused on the wings, it was nothing of interest in them . All architectural elements were missing or had been replaced and the structure was disfigured by reinforcements executed in the 70s. Finally the new work was executed in the central area enclosed by porticoes fitting restorations long-span structure with header bays .

The decoration , balustrades , columns and finials , were reconstructed from period photographs of the construction of the building prefabricándolas workshop connected to the frame with anchor plates .

The restoration project was undertaken by architects Antonio Martín Molina , Montserrat Recaséns Díaz and José María Gracia Prieto .
Source Wikipedia .
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D3100
Software: PhotoScape
Exposure Time: 10/32000 sec
F-Stop: f/9.0
ISO Speed Ratings: 400
Focal Length: 50 mm
Date Taken: 2012-05-28 12:31
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
File Size: 479 kb

Photo Information
Viewed: 668
Points: 66
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by angel cornejo (cornejo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 2495 W: 0 N: 5768] (30626)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH