Small village called Osp, southern Slovenia, famous for its rock, climber's paradise.
The parish Church of St. Thomas the Apostle was built around 1600 and was later rebuilt in late Baroque style.
According to the village tradition and individual testimonies, the original St. Thomas Church stood below the village beside the sea but it was later transferred to its current location. The locals use the toponym »at the old church« for the place by the bridge across the now regulated riverbed of the Osp River along the path between Osp and Golo Brdo below the Tinjan hill. The location of the position referred to as »at the old church« leads us to believe that the original church really was located there but that it was damaged by floods until it fell into ruins - whereupon the new church, which was described by the Verona Bishop Agostino Valier upon his visit in 1580, was constructed in the current location. Valuable information on the church was left by Pietro Rossetti in 1694, who wrote that there was also a cemetery by the church, which had later been abandoned. They continued to bury the deceased by the Church of St. Peter below Vinjan in the midst of the Osapska dolina (Osp Valley), the location of the original seat of the Osp parish. The parish Church of St. Thomas saw most of its changes and remodelling work during the office of priests Matija Brauhar (1852-1877) and Jožef Bartl (1877-1885), when they removed the ruins of St. Peter’s Church, walled in the school’s and the priest’s garden and the cemetery with a new chapel and built the bell tower. They put up a large stone stoup (1857) and an organ inside the church. The statues of St. Peter and St. Paul had probably been moved to the high altar from the old Church of St. Peter before that, as well as the two most important side altars. The side altar of St. Stephan features the image of God the Father with the Saints and the inscription G.V.P. MDLXXIII, perhaps the work of Giorgio Vicentini from 1573. The altar of the Blessed Virgin Mary carries a newer work by E. Germanigo from 1889, the Immaculate. Perhaps parts of altars of St. Ursula and St. Luke from the old parish church were used in building the side altars. The thorough refurbishment and painting of the church, which was done by the Koper painter Ermengildo de Troy, was concluded in 1923 under priest Franc Malalan (1920-1939). The Aquileian style bell tower (29.94 m), made of stone from the rock behind the village, replaced the old bell tower but it remained without an inscription of the year of construction. There are four small columns with capitals on the corners of the bell tower cornice, remains of Roman excavations near the village in Grubeljce. Two such columns, though without the capitals, can be found on the lower side of the Ribnice village well with three pipes and a pillar on the upper side with the year 1894. (taken from www.slovenia.info)
Nobody has marked this note useful