The Slovenian coastline, tucked in between Croatia and Italy, is only 47 kms (29 miles) long. This is where the city of Koper /Capodistria (Capo d’Istria) - with the country's only commercial and most important port - is situated in the northwestern part of Istria, only 5 kms (3.5 miles) from the Italian border.
Koper has a long history and was initially established on an island in the Gulf of Koper in the northern Adriatic. Since then, many are the sovereignties that have ruled over the city. But finally, in 1991, Slovenia gained independence. However the links with Italy are strong and today Koper is officially bilinguall, with both Slovene and Italian.
The old city square is surrounded by beautiful buildings, like the 15th century Pretorian Palace - with this gate - the Loggia Palace (see WS) and the Cathedral of St. Nazarius. The campanile (bell tower) was built in the second half of the 12th century and has one of the oldest bells in Slovenia, made in 1333.
The upper terrace offers a great view of the Bay of Trieste.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Kaj Nordstrom (kajenn) (2428)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2014-08-04
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: iPhone 5S, AF 4.0mm f/2.2, JPEG ISO 50
- Exposure: f/2.2, 1/1000 seconds
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version, Workshop
- Date Submitted: 2014-08-21 14:52