Photos

Photographer's Note

The St. Michael Chapel (on the right side)

The St. Michael Chapel (Slovak: Kaplnka sv. Michala) is a Gothic Chapel in Košice, Slovakia. It was probably erected in the first half of the 14th century. It was built as a cemetery chapel inside the town walls in the place of the present-day park at Hlavná ulica (English: Main Street). The lower part of the chapel was initially an ossarium, the upper one served for offices for the deceased.
The patron of the dead, Saint Michael the Archangel, trampling the Devil, is shown on the facade. The archangels Raphael and Gabriel are on his sides. In the interior, there is a nice stone tabernacle, the ornamental sculpture Ecce Homo and rests of wall paintings from the Middle Ages. The first municipal coat of arms in Europe (dated back to 1369) is situated above the door leading to the vestry.
The chapel served as a Slovak church whereas the St. Elisabeth Cathedral was a German and Hungarian church.
During the rebuilding in the years 1902–1904, they pulled down the northern aisle (it was erected in 1508) and bricked 17 old gravestones (coming from the 14th till 17th century) into the exterior walls of the chapel to save them from destruction.


Cathedral of St. Elisabeth (ont the left side)

Almost all monuments of Košice are concentrated in the historical core of the town, size of which makes it the biggest Town Monument Reserve of Slovakia. The spindle-shaped Hlavné námestie square of Košice is the heart of the town and rightly considered one of the most beautiful squares in Slovakia. It is closed to traffic and skirted by numerous wonderful historical buildings. The most valuable monuments are situated in its centre. The dominant of the square and the town is the monumental Gothic Cathedral of St. Elisabeth. This building, rather isolated from the rest of the square, is the largest church of Slovakia and the easternmost situated Gothic cathedral of western type in Europe.

Its longitudinal axis is 60.5 m and its transversal axis is 39.5 m long. The northern tower of the dome is 58.5 m tall. Construction of the church proceeded under the royal supervision in several stages from 1380 while some assert that it is still not finished. Originally, the church was designed as a five-nave basilica. Under the pressure of natural disasters and wars the resulting form was different; it became the five-nave dome with crossed nave.
(Source:slovakia.travel)

Photo Information
Viewed: 2900
Points: 78
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH