Photos

Photographer's Note

The courtyard of the Dunđerski mansions, now part of the Kulpin Museum Complex.

The Museum in Kulpin comprises the nucleus settlement from the second half of the eighteenth and the first half of the nineteenth century. This compound of buildings consists of two mansions with extra facilities, built by the members of the noble Stratimirović family, encapsulating the gardens, the old school building, the Serbian Orthodox Church and the Parochial House. Although historically not belonging to the same epoch, the Slovak Evangelical Church, built between 1875-1879 as well as the house where Patriarch Djordje Branković was born, subsequently reconstructed in 1899 to become a Serbian religious school, are also part of this complex.

The Stratimirovićs built their houses on the edges of a large meadow, called the Valley. At first, the houses were small and temporary, but later on, big mansions were erected. One of them was located where Slovak Evangelical Church building stands now. The so called small mansion (from the second half of the 18th century) and the big mansion (kaštel), built in 1826, have been saved from those times. On the opposite side of the valley, across the street, the Orthodox Church, the Parochial House, the Serbian School and the Municipal Hall were built.
The Stratimirović family yielded to posterity several prominent and educated individuals. Among them, the most outstanding ones were Stefan and Djordje Stratimirović. Stefan Stratimirović, Karlovac Metropolitan (1790-1836), was the spiritual and ideological leader of the Serbian people in the Hapsburg Monarchy for a couple of decades.
Djordje Stratimirović (1822-1908) was the commander of the Serbian army in the revolution of 1848/49. The Serbian people’s struggle aimed at gaining national rights within Austria resulted in Serbian - Vojvodina. Djordje actively served in the Austrian military from 1849 and attained the rank of Major General. On behalf of Austria, he served diplomatic missions in Montenegro, in Corfu, in Epirus, Serbia and Italy.
The manor and major part of the estate were bought from the Stratimirovićs by Matej Semzo od Kamjanike. This Hungarian family was managing Kulpin estate only for a short time. They sold the estate to Lazar Dundjerski in 1889.
The Dundjerski family had been managing the estate up until the end of WWII, precisely, until 1945. Lazar, with his son Djordje, contributed a lot to the development of agriculture.
Following the Nationalization Act, an agricultural cooperative farm was set up at the Dundjerski family’s estate in Kulpin. This cooperative farm was managing the mansion with its extra facilities up until 1991, when the Agricultural Museum commenced managing this complex.
http://muzejvojvodine.org.rs/

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 456
Points: 12
Discussions
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 191 W: 98 N: 304] (3008)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH