Sremski Karlovci is a rare pearl of Serbian culture and spirituality. The town-museum stands side by side with the famous European cities. The baroque core of the city boasts of many historical buildings that first overwhelm you with their beauty and then with their significance.
Sremski Karlovci visit is an excellent day-trip from Belgrade (under 1 hour) and Novi Sad (15 minutes). The oldest buildings in the town center date to the end of the 17th century and beginning of the 18th century, when in 1713 the center of the Serbian Orthodox church was moved to Karlovci and many new structures were added.
Just after the noteworthy Peace Treaty of Karlovci was signed in 1699, work on the Chapel of Peace was started. The chapel, unchanged in appearance, though reconstructed in 1817, takes its round shape and four separate entrances in recognition of the famous peace negotiations that took place here. It was the first time a round table was used in international politics.
Construction on the large Congregation Church, with its massive baroque towers, started in the mid-18th century under the leadership of Metropolitan Pavle Nenadović. Its masterful baroque iconostasis was painted by Teodor Kračun and Jakov Orfelin. The most monumental building in Karlovci is the Patriarchy Court, built between 1892 and 1895 by the architect Vladimir Nikolić after 19th century urban places influenced by Historicist, Renaissance and Baroque styles.
To this day, the Serb Orthodox Patriarch retains the title of Metropolitan of Karlovci. The town also featured the earliest Slavic grammar school founded on August 3, 1791.
On 1794. an Orthodox seminary was founded in the town, becoming the second oldest Orthodox seminary in the world, after the Spiritual Academy in Kiev, and it operates to this day.
Sremski Karlovci hosts the oldest Serbian bookshop "Gutenberg" dating from the second half of 18th century, and the oldest pharmacy house in Serbia.
Bermet, the Sremski Karlovci' authentic wine, was even included in The Titanic's wine card. It is an exceptional liqueur wine, much like the Italian Vermouth, but produced in a different way - through maceration of 20 different herbs and spices.
This is a photo of the first Serbian grammar (high) school, founded in 1791, although today's building dates from the end of 19th century.
- Copyright: Marko Petrovic (mpetrovic) (1530)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2008-11-07
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: HP Photosmart M22
- Exposure: f/6.5
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Sremski Karlovci Classics [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2008-11-12 9:47