Photos

Photographer's Note

At the site of the City Park of Zemun, from 1730 to 1871 (when Zemun got the status of a free royal city) was "Kontumac", or quarantine, where the travelers that arrived from the other side of the Sava River, in what was then Austria-Hungary, were housed. A redesign of the Kontumac lasted until the opening of the the Park in 1886. Creator and manager of the works was Ivan Perković.

The Park at one time was called Elizabeth Park (by the Empress Elizabeth of Bavaria), and the current name was given after the First World War.

Today in the City Park there are: primary school, Zemun Gymnasium, Faculty of Agriculture, sports center "Pinki", as well as two chapels:

1. The Orthodox Chapel of St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel in Zemun Park (right) built in 1786 on the site of a previous wooden church. In wartime, it served as a quarantine facility. The chapel is a Baroque building with a double cross, a semicircular apse and a two-story bell tower, added in 1840. Part of the structure are the special niches - made in a strict accordance with the Serbian religious architectural tradition - for those who were strictly quarantined. Restored in 1986, the chapel unveiled new mural paintings and iconostasis. Some of its original 19th century gold-plated icons are the works of Bratoglić Demetrius and Constantine Lekic.

2) The Roman Catholic chapel of St. Rocco (left) - built in 1836 by Jozef Felber. It was designed in the spirit of Baroque, with a rectangular single-nave building, a semicircular apse and a two-story bell tower. In wartime, the chapel served as a quarantine facility; hence the main entrance featuring six purpose-built doors. The 19th century icons are the works by Zivko Petrovic, Nikola Masic and several unknown artists.

Monument of a French poet Alphonse de Lamartine was erected between the two chapels in 1933, in memory of his stay in Kontumac 100 years before (rightmost).

Giustiniani, fritzi007 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 474
Points: 14
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 182 W: 91 N: 275] (2724)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH