The (Orthodox) Temple of Saint Sava in Belgrade, Serbia is the largest Orthodox Church currently in use. The church is dedicated to St. Sava, founder of the Serbian church and an important figure in medieval Serbia. The temple has been built on the Vračar plateau, on the location where, in 1595, St. Sava’s remains are thought to have been burned by Turkish Sinan Pasha. The building of the church structure has been financed exclusively by donations
Construction of the temple had been slow, delayed by events in Serbia over the last century (WW2, communism).
Building of the temple began in May 10, 1935. This was 340 years after the burning of St. Sava's remains. The cornerstone was laid by Bishop Gavrilo Dozic-Medenica (the future Serbian Patriarch Gavrilo V).
The project was designed by Aleksandar Deroko and Bogdan Nestorovic, aided by civil engineer Vojislav Zadjina.
Construction of the temple began again on August 12, 1985 as the walls were completed to their full height of 40 metres.
The placement of the dome took forty days and was finished on June 26, 1989.
By 2004, the main structure of the temple was generally completed. The bells and windows had been installed, as well as had the facade been completed. Work on the inner decoration of the temple has continued.