Photos

Photographer's Note

Rasnov Fortress.
Built on a calcareous rock, the walls of the fortress can be seen far away from the Barsa plain. The Rasnov fortress, located 15 km far from Brasov on the Brasov-Bran road, was for the first time documentary certified in 1355.
The fortress had two courts, an exterior one, for the animals and an interior one, for people. The locals were living in the lower town, while during the sieges they were going in the fortress where each family had a room. The fortress had also a school, a chapel and a food storage room. These rooms were protected by walls, 5m (16feet) high and five bastions. The only disadvantage of this fortress was the lack of water. During the sieges, people of Rasnov were going out of the citadel in the middle of the nights to a secret creek. In 1612, Gabriel Bathory, Prince of Transylvania, headed toward Rasnov in order to supreme parts of the Saxonís freedoms. Although, his army wasn't able to damage too much the fortress, Gabriel Bathory found the secret creek and in this way he forced the locals to surrender. It was for the first and last time when the citadel was defeated. This is the reason for digging a well inside of the fortress that it has 150m (492feet) depth. The legend has it that two Turkish prisoners dug a well for seventeen years, during 1623 and 1640 in exchange of their release by the time when they will find water. It is said that they finished their task but the leader of the fortress didnít respect the promise. In reality, the well was dug by the Saxon workers paid by the local community. During its history, the citadel was consolidated and renovated many times. It was used till the middle of the 19th century.
In the present it is a museum.

isabela_sor has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1091
Points: 10
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Daniel Gheorghita (suru) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 37 W: 0 N: 140] (1079)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH