Photos

Photographer's Note

TE Meeting Lisbon 2010-02-27
This was taken in TE Meeting in Lisbon on the 27th March.
In this meeting participated the following people:
Miguel (nszeretlek) from Spain and his wife Annette, Goncalo Lopes(Bluejeans), Filipe (Sacavem), Aires (AiresSantos) and his friend Cidalia Bolacha and myself.
This is the eastern side of The Jeronimos' monastery, where is installed The Maritime Museum.

The Maritime Museum (Portuguese: Museu de Marinha) of Lisbon is dedicated to all aspects of the History of navigation in Portugal. The museum is administered by the Portuguese Navy and is located in the touristic district of Belém. It occupies a part of the neo-Manueline Western wing of the Jerónimos Monastery (together with the National Museum of Archaeology) as well as a modern annex built to the North of the monastery.

The history of the museum is deeply related to King Luís I (1838-1889), who was a lover of oceanographic studies and an accomplished navigator himself. He created in 1863 a collection of items related to the preservation of maritime history of Portugal, a collection that was enlarged in the following decades, culminating in the inauguration of the Maritime Museum in 1963 in its present location.

The exhibits include historical paintings, archaeological items and many scale models of ships used in Portugal since the 15th century. It is one of the most visited Portuguese museums.

Monastery of Jeronimos
Build in the sixteenth century, this monastery close to the river banks has been the burial ground for the royal family for over four centuries. In this monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary, the monks of the Order of St. Jerome used to pray for the well being of the Portugese king's soul and for the succes of the sailors that discovered the world's seas in his name. It is an excellent example of the Manueline style, a typical crossover between late medieval and early renaissance architecture, even though it was severely redecorated in the nineteenth century. Pay attention to the net vaults and the elegant columns of the Santa Maria monastery church. Most famous is the inner cloister, at the moment beeing renovated. Already declared a National Monument in 1907, it became a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1984.
Note source: SFA (Stolen From Aires)
Hope you enjoy it.



Shooting Data
Nikon D40
2010/02/27 17:09:09.5
Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Color
Lens: VR 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 G
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/50 sec - F/9
Exposure Comp.: +0.3 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Custom
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A
Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: More Contrast
Hue Adjustment: +6°
Saturation: Enhanced
Sharpening: High
VR Control: Off
High ISO NR: Off

Photo Information
Viewed: 2129
Points: 64
Discussions
Additional Photos by Paulo Goncalves (Juntas) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1458 W: 216 N: 1818] (7958)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH