Photos

Photographer's Note

The Palace of São Bento has its origins in the first monastery benedictine built in Lisbon, retracing its construction to the year of 1598. Posterior significant alterations in its original localization had been efectuadas by necessity of more space to lodge a religious community in growth, as well as for reasons of salubrity and desire of bigger proximity with the urban nucleus and its fidiciary offices. It will have been in 1615 that the Order chose the definitive place for the installation of the brotherhood of monges of black habit, in fifth acquired the Antão Martines, where if found the Nursing home for shelter of the pestíferos vitimados for occasions it of 1569. The Convent of S.Bento of the Health in a tile panel, c.1735 the new monastery of Is Bento of the Health, or of the Blacks, it was, with effect, constructed second projecto initial of Baltasar Álvares, continued there, after the death of this, for frades Peter Quaresma and João Turriano, satisfying now resultant the new necessities of the practical ones of the religious cult of the beneditina reform and Concílio de Trento. The Convent of S. Bento of the Health in a panoramic sight, 3º quarter of séc.XVIII the building, more complex, self-sufficient and extensive that the first one in structural and space terms, seated in a square shaped plant with four claustros, a church with lateral chapels, tipped for two towers, dormitories, barber's shop, kitchen, refectory, cellars, to lagar, oven and workshops. The Convent of S. Bento of the Health, in a sight of Lisbon, ends of Séc. XVIII had still not been finished the workmanships when the convent suffered some damages with terramoto from 1755. However, it was with the Liberal Revolution of the 1820 and extinguishing of the religious orders in 1834 that the conventual life suffered to the great destruction, being the building afecto to the installation of the Palace of the Cuts, or Parliament. The Convent of S. Bento - attributed Aguarela the J. Lewicki - Séc. XIX Was, then, delivers to arquitecto Possidónio Da Silva the responsibility of one shortened adaptation of the religious space to the necessities of the new lay intention politician, being used to advantage the Room of the Chapter for installation of the Chamber of the Pairs and made of root the House of representatives. In 1867 arquitecto Jean François Colson only projectou the true reformularization of the first room, becoming it more functional and worthy of the new use. With the 1895 fire the reconstruction showed urgent, having, for such, been opened competition who seleccionou projecto of Miguel Happiness Land that, characterized for an aesthetic neoclássica, this would finish for remodelling the room not only, almost all the building, conferring to it a monumental dimension, well distant of the discrete conventual style-soil, as he agreed to the importance of the parliamentary agency installed there. Aerial sight of the Assembleia of the Republic From years 20, the direcção of the workmanships was delivers arquitecto Adolph also Marks Da Silva who not only conceived some alterations to projecto initial of the final details of the façades, but in details in the finishing of the interiors and, essentially, to the level of all the decorative program. During long the 50 years where the workmanships had elapsed, the antechamber of the Members of the house of representatives, the Room of the Lost, the Noble Staircase, the Parliamentary Library and the Noble Hall had been created, being the last ones already conceived and efectuadas Steps in years 40 of century XX, inside of a new aesthetic conception and utilitarian characteristic of the New State.

Photograph made for two photos
Sorry my English :)

http://www.parlamento.pt/visita/introducao/index.html

ajcoutinho, paura, stego, Rosa_d_MonteLua has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 4084
Points: 14
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Goncalo Lopes (Bluejeans) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9251 W: 115 N: 13288] (64247)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH