Juromenha became a village and county seat under D. Dinis reign. The Islamic defence walls have been strengthened by the construction of 17 square towers, whereas the keep is 45m high. The royal marriages of Afonso IV of Portugal to Beatriz of Castela and Afonso XI of Castela to Maria of Portugal took place here. Part of the castle was destroyed in 1659 after the explosion of a gunpowder magazine. The paths of 13th and 17th century walls have remained to the present time, along with the ruins of the Town Hall, Governor's House and the keep. Medieval weepholes, 16th century bastions, gaps, bartizans and cannon batteries still prevail in the right bank of the river Guadiana, which became thicker due to the filling of Alqueva dam.
Nobody has marked this note useful