The Chapel of Bones, one of the most famous monuments of the city of Évora is located in the Church of San Francisco.
It was built in the seventeenth century on the initiative of three monks who, in the spirit of the time (anti-religious reform, according to the regulations of the Council of Trent), intended to convey the message of the transient life, as is evident from the famous warning entry: "We bones that are here await yours".
The chapel, built on the site of the original dormitory fradesco consists of three naves of 18.70 m long and 11m wide, letting in the light of three small cracks on the left.
The walls and the eight pillars are "decorated" with skulls and bones connected by brown cement. The vaults are of brick hauled the white, painted with allegorical death.
The chapel was dedicated to the Senhor dos Passos, image known around town as the Lord Jesus House of Bones, which impresses with its expression that represents the suffering of Christ in their walk with the cross up to Calvary.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Joao Correia (sogal) (1110)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2010-11-14
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: fujifilm finepix S8000fd, Fujinon 18X F2,8 - F4,5
- Exposure: f/4, 1/60 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2011-01-19 2:18