The medieval village of Mértola Myrtilis in ancient Roman times is a place where you can breathe history. Mértola last was an important trading post at the time of the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans and Arabs, because of the existence of land and waterway connecting the South
The Arabs left a fortress, later occupied by Christians, and a mosque, which came to be transformed into a church. In 1238, D. Sancho II Mértola conquer the Moors, giving the village the Order of Santiago for this to repopulate.
Mértola is located on the bank of the Guadiana River in the province of Alentejo, Beja district.
Video about Mértola in: http://youtu.be/kEfEBRs3ERw
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Joao Correia (sogal) (985)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2014-02-01
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: FujiFilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Fujinon 30X / 24-700 mm Eq. f.8-6.6, Hoya PRO1 Digital Circular PL
- Exposure: f/7.1, 1/500 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2014-02-26 0:31