More photos/video in: http://youtu.be/0RLhJLtncjM
The current lighthouse of Cape de Saint Vicente, is located on the promontory of Sagres, São Vicente in the South of Portugal, was built in 1846 at the convent of the Crow, the former Franciscan Convent and fortification, which was assaulted in 1587 by the famous privateer Francis Drake, which destroy the primitive Tower lighthouse on the site, which was lit the oil.
Between 1897 and 1908 there were extensive refurbishment, having been installed a Fresnel lenticular apparatus of 1330mm focal length to act as hyper-radial lens apparatus. It is the largest optics in Portuguese headlights and one of the ten largest in the world, consisting of three optical panels of eight square meters with 3.58 meters high, floating in 313 kilograms of mercury.
The lighthouse has 28 meters in height, a range of 32 nautical miles and lies at an altitude of 86 meters, was in 1982, passing the automated be controlled at a distance and more recently, with thousands of annual visitors, the Portuguese Navy (owner of the fortress where the Lighthouse is located), installed in a small museum.
The Lighthouse is open to the public for guided visits a lighthouse tender on Wednesdays
More photos on:www.panoramio.com/user/jotalgarb
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Joao Correia (sogal) (880)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-03-18
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: FujiFilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Fujinon 30X / 24-700 mm Eq. f.8-6.6, Hoya PRO1 Digital Circular PL
- Exposure: f/3.6, 1/400 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2012-09-01 1:11