The island of Porto Santo, 42 km northeast of Madeira is only 11 kms long and 6 kms wide. It's airport was the first one to be opened in the Madeira archipelago, and from 1960 until 1964, travellers to Madeira landed on Porto Santo and then had to embark on a ferry for a three hours' voyage to Funchal.
The small island can offer what Madeira can't:
An 9 kms long excellent sand beach!
Sand beaches on Madeira are always artificial, small and very rare.
View of the island from flight AB 2646 DUS-FNC on August 9th, 2014.
BTW: Christoph Columbus lived on that island for several years prior to his westbound 1492 trip...
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Sven Erich Czernik (Energysavingelk) (1053)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2014-08-09
- Categories: Nature
- Camera: Canon 5 D Mark II, 24-105mm F/4L IS USM
- Exposure: f/16, 1/80 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2014-08-30 8:39