Photos

Photographer's Note

Il y a 4 ans (exactement) à Łancut.
Un voyage mémorable vers la Galicie, vers l'Ukraine.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Synagogue of Łańcut
The Łańcut Synagogue (1761) is a Baroque synagogue in Łańcut, Poland. The Łańcut Synagogue is a rare surviving example of the four-pillar, vaulted synagogues that were built throughout the Polish lands in both wood and masonry from the sixteenth through the early nineteenth centuries.
The synagogue is a simple Baroque, masonry building with a vestibule and side room, main hall and a women's balcony above the vestibule reached by an exterior staircase. The windows of the main hall are unusually large for a Polish synagogue; Krinsky believes that this may reflect the security of the Jews in Łańcut, who lived under the protection of the landowning family.The synagogue is built with eight, barrel-vaulted bays around a central Bimah, the four, massive, masonry pillars of which support the ceiling and roof. Painted, decorative plasterwork adorns the pillar capitals, ceiling, and walls. The floor in the restored building is made of concrete. The walls are decorated reproductions of the pre-war paintings. They feature traditional Jewish subjects, such as Noah and the Ark, symbols of the Zodiac, and images of musical instruments mentioned in the Book of Psalms.
The Synagogue was set on fire during World War II, but, because it is masonry, the building was not destroyed. It was used for grain storage during the war, and, probably, for storage purposes for some years afterwards. In 1956, with no Jews residing in Łańcut, the town council proposed to destroy the building. Dr. Stanislaw Balici persuaded the council to preserve the building as a museum and memorial to Łańcut's destroyed Jewish community. Jews had composed 45 percent of the population of Łańcut in the census of 1880. The Synagogue was completely restored in the 1980s.
The Synagogue, located on Jana III Sobieskiego Street adjacent to the grounds of the Baroque Łańcut Castle, was built in 1761.
At a date after 1786, the Polish artist Zygmunt Vogel, (known as Ptashek, 1764–1826) painted a view of the interior of the synagogue.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 370
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Elisabeth Kofman (Kofman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 97 W: 75 N: 519] (2348)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH