Photos

Photographer's Note

This is a view of Velserbroek. Velerbroek is a quarter of Velsen and Santpoort.

Velsen and Santpoort
The city has its origin in the village of Velsen, caught between the highway and the Northsea Channel, in former times an agrarian community between the dunes and the Wijkerlake. As early as the Bronze Age people have lived here. The Roman conquerors left a fort and docks on the Wijkerlake. During the Middle Ages Velsen was a place of pilgrimage. Pilgrims visited the place to worship the Holy Engelmundus and to ask for the curing of various physical ailments.

Through the ages Santpoort has always formed a administrative unit with Velsen. The Lords of Brederode were "Trademasters of the magnificent lands of Velsen and Santpoort". The ruins of Brederode remind us of this Middle Aged past.

The Northsea Channel and IJmuiden
The rural peace of the community vanished when the Northsea Channel was opened in 1876, The river IJ en the Wijkerlake became polders. Lots of workers on the Channel remained here and so became, together with the locks- and customs personnel, the first inhabitants of this area. The new community was christened IJmuiden, by King William III.

The new city knew a fast growth. Not, as expected, by the "big" shipping companies, but especially by the rise of the (sea)fishing industry in the area. By the end of the 19th century the fishing industry got the disposal of a harbour, installed by the national government. Later the National Fish Auction was founded here. IJmuiden grew till it was the most important supplying harbour of seafish in our country, a position it still has today.

The digging of the Northsea Channel split the village of Velsen into two parts. De community Velsen-North could develop thanks to up-and-coming industries, such as (steel-industry) Hoogovens (Corus) en the papermill.

Demolition and construction
The development, started after 1876, was crudely interrupted by the Second World War. Evacuation of the inhabitants and demolition of a third of all the houses existing in IJmuiden, made Velsen one of the severest hit Dutch communities.

The energetic approach of the reconstruction made Velsen a modern seatown. The centre came in IJmuiden-East, where in 1965 the City Hall (designed by the well-known architect Dudok) was opened. New living quarters were built in the dune area: Zeewijk and Duinwijk.

Velserbroek
November 1984 was the start of creating a completely new quarters, Velserbroek. In this old polder 6000 houses were planned for 16.000 people, together with schools, a shopping centre and social-cultural provisions, most of which is finished now.

alvaraalto, weswang has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Kjeld Zwemmer (Steve_T) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Silver Note Writer [C: 73 W: 15 N: 46] (421)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2005-02-19
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/8, 30 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2005-02-20 4:24
Viewed: 4038
Points: 8
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Kjeld Zwemmer (Steve_T) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Silver Note Writer [C: 73 W: 15 N: 46] (421)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH