Photos

Photographer's Note

The Monastery of Saint John Bigorski is an Orthodox monastery built in 1020 on a steep slope surrounded by dense woods and rocky hills. The church is dedicated to St John the Baptist whilst the term “bigorski” means “tuff stone” in Macedonian, which was used for building the monastery. The monastery is famous for its wood-carved iconostasis and the icon of St John the Baptist which is believed to have a miraculous healing power. According to the legend, the icon was found in 1020 floating on the neighbouring river, in the same place where the monastery was built. In the 16th century, the Turks burned the monastery and the Icon mysteriously disappeared, then returned later unharmed, without any human help to the same place. John the Baptist is represented in the icon as a three- handed Saint. It is believed that one of the hands helps families who can't have children. The monastery also houses a small silver coffin containing some relics of Saint John the Baptist.
You can have a look at the inside courtyard of the monastery in the Workshop.
--------------------------------------------------
Le Monastère Saint-Jean Bigorski est un monastère orthodoxe construit en 1020 sur une pente abrupte au milieu d’une forêt dense et de collines rocheuses. Son église est dédiée à Saint Jean-Baptiste, quant à « bigorski », cela vient du macédonien « bigor » qui signifie tuf, pierre avec laquelle le monastère est construit. Le monastère est réputé pour son iconostase en bois sculpté et pour son icône de Saint-Jean Baptiste qui aurait des propriétés miraculeuses. Selon la légende, elle aurait été découverte en 1020 par le fondateur du monastère, flottant dans la rivière voisine, à l’endroit où le bâtiment fut construit. Lors de l'attaque turque au 16e siècle, elle aurait disparu mystérieusement puis serait revenue intacte, sans aucune aide humaine, au même endroit. Cette icône représente le Saint avec trois mains, l'une d'entre-elles étant censée aider les couples stériles. Le monastère possède enfin un petit cercueil d’argent contenant des reliques de Saint-Jean Baptiste.
Vous pourrez jeter un coup d’œil à la cour intérieure du monastère dans le Workshop.

Photo Information
Viewed: 405
Points: 38
Discussions
Additional Photos by Christian Loste (chrislo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 386 W: 123 N: 813] (3763)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH