Photos

Photographer's Note

Kaunas Cathedral Basilica (Lithuanian: Kauno sv. apastalų Petro ir Povilo arkikatedra bazilika) is a Roman Catholic cathedral basilica in Kaunas, Lithuania.

The exact date when the first Gothic style church dedicated to apostles Saint Peter and Saint Paul, was built is unknown, but it was first mentioned in writing sources in 1413. The first parochial school in Kaunas at the St. Peter and St. Paul church was mentioned in 1473. The construction works were concluded only in 1624. The church greatly suffered from wars in 1655 and was rebuilt in 1671 and gained some Renaissance features. Only one of the towers was rebuilt after the fire of the roof in 1732. The internal decorations were funded by the King Stanis³aw August Poniatowski in 1771. The present day shape of the building is from 1800 renovation. The church was promoted to cathedral status by Pope Leo XIII in 1895. It received the Basilica title in 1926, when the Diocese of Samogitia was reorganized into the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Kaunas by Pope Pius XI. The cathedral, being 84 m long, 28 m height and 34 m wide is the largest Gothic church in Lithuania. The Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, built in 1895, is an independent extension of the southern nave with carved wood furnishings in the neo-gothic style.
Kaunas Cathedral Basilica
The Tower of the Kaunas Cathedral Basilica
Kaunas Cathedral Basilica
The main altar was made by Tomasz Podhajski in 1775. Samogitian bishop Motiejus Valanèius is buried in the underground vault of the cathedral. There is also a Neogothic mausoleum of Maironis near the wall of the chapel. Kaunas Cathedral Basilica was included into the Registry of Immovable Cultural Heritage Sites of the Republic of Lithuania in 1996.

papagolf21, ngk, danos, saxo042, geoant68, Sonata11, mkamionka, macjake has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1339
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Krzysztof Dera (Fis2) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 5200 W: 157 N: 6992] (83120)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH