These are the ruins of the oldest stone church in Latvia. It was built in 1184 AD. From here St. Meinard started to spread christianity all over Livonia.
This church was destroyed in 1916 during WWI.
In 1975 when they started to build dam of Riga hydropower station, the place where the ruins stand became an island - now it has a name of the man who built the church - St. Meinard's island.
Once a year when some minor construction is going on in Riga hydropower station and the water level is lowered, it is possible to get on the island by feet - like it once was...
Critiques | Translate
Zanni (6108) 2004-09-01 13:52
The composition is very good: the church is a strong element but we can admire also the landscape. A good place to pray. Good colors too.
bazal (7900) 2004-09-02 3:38
Interesting shot ! The composition is maybe a little disbalanced due to the fact that there's too much sky: a narrower crop would be necessary ? Good contribution, anyway !
Pompey (1117) 2004-10-26 17:38
Lovely picture Armands, nice subject, good colours and excellent note.