Photos

Photographer's Note

In the WS other sight of the country house.
translate with babel fish

Cantoniera house "Of the Sellaretto" In the point in which the alley of Old Rome an historical cantoniera house turns in direction of via Tuscolana conserve, you belong to the ancient intentional line ferroviara from Pope Pio IX, than in 1862 it connected Rome with Ceprano, called "of the Sellaretto".

http://www.parks.it/parco.appia.antica/pun.html

Route To (on foot) Area of the Aqueducts in the Park of the Ancient Appia. Comprised between the modern quarters of Cinecittà along the way Tuscolana and the Fourth Mile on the New Appia, the Area of the Aqueducts for the high value of its historical-archaeological testimonies constitutes integrating part of the Regional Park of the Ancient Appia, instituted protected area with Regional Law 66 of 1988. The Area, delimited gives via Lemonia, via of the Capannelle, New Appia and via of the Quadraro, it takes the name from the monumental six rests of the eleven antichi aqueducts that assured water supplying to the city of Rome: the Anio Vetus, that it runs in underground distance, Claudius, to which the Anio Novus, the Aqua is overlapped March, with the overhanging channels of the Tepula and the Iulia. They, coming from sources on the slopes of the Albani Necks or the high one go them of the Aniene, caught up the center of the city in the higher point, to Greater Door, from which the water it came distributed the lived one; to these the Happy aqueduct joins, constructed in rinascimentale age for will of Pope Sisto V, destroying and ring-use good part of the arched ones of the aqueduct I march. Fragment of that meaningful part of Roman Campaign, than in the antiquity connected the Necks Albani to the doors of the city, such territory, characterized from the presence of the huge ones arched of the aqueducts, than J.W. Goethe in its "Travel in Italy" it defined "a succession of it arches of triumph", it has always exercised a strong fascination in the travellers and the artists of all the times, than of the imposing ruins they have left images and evocative ends, true and own works of art and with important historical testimony of the ancient landscape. The Latin way, today visible only for short features, crossed the area entire, accompanying for good part the distance of the aqueducts: important road for Southern Italy, more ancient tracing of the way Appia, as that one was flanked from sepolcri of varied tipologia and chronology, of which conserves numerous rests today. The territory, extended between the IV and YOU mile of the Latin way, had in roman age one detached determined productive vocation from the abundance of water: subdivided in numerous bottoms, it was dedicated to the intensive agricultural production of consumer goodses assigns to you R-al.mercato of the city: in the century d.C. the area densely turned out popolata and studded of numerous "peasant villas", localized along the distance of the aqueducts, to which often they were connected through specific distributions. Between the end of and the beginning of II the century d.C., with the accorpamento of the deep ones of the previous age in immenser property, they came constructed a series of huge homogenous dwellings in the system, aligned along the axis of the Latin way, as the villa of the Vignacce and other complexes whose rests have been recovered also in recent years. In medieval and rinascimentale age the area was comprised in the immense one Held of Romavecchia of property of the Hospital of the Sancta Sanctorum, from which in 1797 it it acquired duca the Giovanni Torlonia. From the half of the 1800's the territory has been heavy modified from the passage of the railway lines for the south: before the Rome-Frascati line, inaugurated in 1856 during the Devout pontificato one of IX, therefore the Rome-Velletri-Ceprano in function from the beginning of 1862, successive the most direct Rome-Formia-Naples inaugurated from Mussolini in 1927 and Rome-Cassino-Naples, for the realization di.le which have been pulled down or modified arched of the aqueducts and destroyed many emergencies come to the light during the jobs; still in recent years, between 1987 and the 1993 others important recoveries have marked the jobs for the plan of quadruplicamento of the Rome-Cassino railroad. The route that is introduced has beginning from the country house that would have been constructed on the situated one of the Tempio of the Feminine Fortune, that it marked one of the antichi borders of the city, V to the mile of the Latin way: the Fossae Cluiliae, than brings back to the leggendarie origins of Rome and the personage of Coriolano. Through the villa of the Vignacce and the aqueducts, it is passed to the examination of numerous funerari buildings of various tipologie, in the vicinities of the medieval country house of Romavecchia, until catching up the ancient cantoniera house of the Sellaretto, that it remains to testimony of the papal railroad Rome-Frascati.

http://www.roma10beniculturali.it/Itin_A.htm

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2066
Points: 16
Discussions
Additional Photos by Giorgio Clementi (Clementi) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3694 W: 437 N: 9370] (52514)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH