Photos

Photographer's Note

At the edge of the main road and leaned to the cemetery field , is the Church of San Salvatore. formerly known as the Parish of St. Mary was built around 1100 as the parish church of Santa Maria and the dependencies of the Abbey of Sant'Eutizio of Preci , was ceded to the community of Fields at the end of 1400 with the current name . Looking at the front you will notice the two different periods of construction but will hit almost perfect symmetry . The church , in fact, is composed of an older building , roughly corresponding to the current left aisle , and the next one , the result of the enlargement of the fifteenth century (the right portal bears the date 1491, the wooden doors which are exposed to ' inside the church).
This difference in ages is also found by looking at the floor of the two aisles , the one on the right side , in fact, is paved with " schiazze " ( 1528). Both buildings are connected by a single symmetrical facade with a gable roof . The latter has two rosettes and two portals with pointed arches and a narrow porch supported by a squat middle column and two side doors .
Enlargement of the building proceeded in 1491 , due to increased population , date back to this addition the right portal with pointed arches and the two rich rosettes that decorate the facade.
The perimeter wall of the right side shows outside a trend to " shoe" , and there are plenty of bare materials ( inscriptions and a fragment of the frieze ) . From the left aisle , through a stone staircase leads to an upper loggia built to facilitate the worship of a wooden crucifix was considered miraculous . The prospectus of the loggia is decorated with a rich iconostasis , painted from the middle of the fifteenth century by Giovanni and Antonio Sparapane , which were then joined by Nicola da Siena and Domenico da Leonessa.
All of the left aisle is decorated with frescoes , to the wall behind the altar , with works by frescoes of the mid- fifteenth century. John and Antonio Sparapane , Nicola da Siena and Domenico da Leonessa.
The right aisle instead turns out to be less decorated but on the floor you can see the recorded unrealized project of the church tower .
The construction of the bell tower was , in fact, beginning in the late 1400s by local masters but was completed around 1548 by Lombard masters With the erection , above the stem of the bell tower , a small sailing ..
Adjacent to the left side of the building there is a small cemetery.

snunney, rychem, rasterman, photoray, jjcordier, Didi, pierrefonds has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9271 W: 132 N: 17815] (115945)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2013-12-21
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/7.1, 1/200 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2013-12-21 5:11
Viewed: 569
Points: 38
Discussions
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9271 W: 132 N: 17815] (115945)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH