Photos

Photographer's Note

The village of Civitella belongs to the municipality of Scheggino, which is 3.46 km in the province of Perugia, region Umbria.
Castle elliptical slope on the left bank of the Black in 1361 and in 1490 is located between sites submitted to the City of Spoleto.
The castle of Civitella, elliptical, occupies a small hill (480 m) dominating a vast and fertile agricultural plain, located on the left bank of the Black Mountain and control of the important route linking Spoleto Monteleone and Lioness, then with the Kingdom of Naples.
Surrounded by walls, still almost intact, in which there are two doors: the door-prioress' upstream and preceded by a covered walkway that arched over the remains of a bastion, the "door to walk" with a pointed arch of stone. Construction is very simple but there are details that demonstrate a degree of accuracy (light windows, balconies, lintels), several buildings of the sixteenth and seventeenth century. reveal noble aspirations showing decorations around doors and windows.
The fortifications, the walls and two gates date back to centuries. XIII. The importance of the settlement in the Middle Ages is attested by the presence of a hospital for pilgrims, mostly S. Cross and a nunnery dedicated to St. Augustine Mary Magdalene.
Built on the site of an ancient settlement evidenced by pre-Roman funerary material, already fief of the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle, the late thirteenth century became the seat of the district of Spoleto Podesta. In the fourteenth century church of St. Peter is one of three ancient churches of the Val di Narco, located close to major roads: its jurisdiction extended over several churches in the area and on the hospital of St. Cross, still operating in 600.
In 1522 the confederation of Castelli Civitella participate in the fight against Spoleto, dissociation later. In 1539 and in 1603 Civitella is involved in border disputes Conle community of Monte San Vito and Scheggino.
The village of Civitella rises 480 meters above sea level.
In the village of Civitella counts 16 inhabitants.


The urban is characterized by a main road which, starting from "port priority," runs in the first floor and then slope down to the "Gateway to feet and onto which all other avenues. Stand out in the building fabric medieval architectural elements of sec. XVI of great value and unusual for towns in the area.
Civitella enjoyed until sec. XIX administrative autonomy, and only after the unification of Italy, in 1883 the town of Civitella to become enfeoffed Sant'Anatolia Narco,: in 1885, is attached permanently to the municipality of Scheggino. A the center of town is the church of S. Giovanni Evangelista, which has always been identified as the ancient church dedicated to St. Peter, although recent research to locate outside the castle. The present building dates back to centuries. XIV, with the addition of the Baroque era, while the arrangement of the chancel is due to an intervention of the century. XIX. The interior contains the remains of a painted decoration of the century. XV and XVI: Mannerist altar valuable painting depicting the Madonna and St. John the Evangelist, attributed to John Catena. Beside the church stands the mighty and tall bell tower, which once also had civil functions and became for centuries the symbol of communal freedom, which is also the emblem of the Community.
Not far from the town and the shrine of St. Maria de la Luz, along the old road from Scheggino, the ruins are covered with vegetation of the former church of S. Biagio, a Romanesque building recently identified with the ancient church of S. Peter.

ourania, rychem, ikeharel, photoray, Graal, cornejo, claudeD has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 852
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9592 W: 132 N: 18668] (120652)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH