Photos

Photographer's Note

Stroncone
Stroncone is a town of 5,007 inhabitants in the province of Terni.
The site on which stands the town of Stroncone can be identified with the ancient Trebula Suffena, there is no definite information on the origin of the center. E 'likely, however, that the settlement arose during dell'altomedioevo, probably built by people who previously lived in the valley and saw the new site a safer place and a haven, perhaps more easily defensible from a small element defensive, a watch tower guard post of some important roads for the time. Stroncone came to find, in fact, in a border area between the Lombard Duchy of Spoleto and the territory under the control of the Byzantines .. Just the name of one of the dukes of Spoleto, Ugone, follows that of the center, obtained from the original "castrum Hugonis" corrupted "Castrugone", "Strungone" and finally "Stroncone.
The first document attesting to the existence dates back to the Chronicon up area of the Abbey of Farfa, in 1012 the year when John Peter gives to the monastery of San Simeon, his possessions in the territory of Stroncone, houses and all that has casalini 'inside the "castle" Stroncone and its portion of the church of Sant'Angelo, which is defined as "oratory" on this date, in the Chronicon Stroncone name is listed several times until 1118.
Other documents of the eleventh century confirm the existence of a settlement now well established, a real castle, complete with fortifications and walls, inside of which are houses, a square, houses of worship.
The original settlement of the country was focused on the highest point of the spur of rock on which it stands. The urbanization of the country was initially confused, defensive and residential structures were modified or constructed according to contingent needs. Subsequently, despite the inaccessible area is well organized and outlined a country shaped like you can see today, with the typical elements of the medieval village: narrow, winding streets, churches with walls close to normal houses, stone doorways and a well within the walls.
In 1156 Bernard Dimaldo Ulderico donated the castle to the Abbey of Farfa who kept it until 1177. Three years later, passed under the direct rule of the church (which will remain forever faithful) was employed instead of the rector of Tuscia.
A document of 1181 speaks of consuls and people of Stroncone, confirming that at that time it was built in the Municipality.
He had several times to support the assault of Narni, Spoleto and that allies against the city of Terni sought to extend its dominance in the valley of Nera.
In 1215, Narni, Spoleto from the ally supported sparse Stroncone completely to the ground, seizing and occupying the Castle Sant'Angelo, and imposing taxes on Marmore in Terni.
Just to counter the expansionist policy of the town of Narni, in perpetual feud with the towns of Terni and Rieti, and in view of the restructuring of the Papal States, Pope Innocent III confirmed to Stroncone municipal autonomy by requiring Narni rebuild the country destroyed and solemnly promise not to put forward more demands on the same domain.
From this moment on, the policy will always be the center of the Guelph party so that they appear on the emblem of the town the white cross on a red background ee papal keys. Stroncone is next to Narni in supporting the army of the pope against the imperial troops of Frederick II of Swabia, backed by the city of Terni. Narni Stroncone always imposed to send well-armed horsemen to help Spoleto threatened by Manfredi.
By the fourteenth century the town, still following the fate of Narni, is governed by the rectors of the Papal States (Ugo Augeri, Bernardus De Lacu, Pietro di Vico, Jerome Orsini Francesco Orsini, Nicola Orsini), replaced by 1377, at the end of 'exile in Avignon popes, from vicar of the Holy See to govern through a commissioner.
In January 1378, the municipality of Stroncone, small "land side" in the diocese of Narni, was seen by Gregory XI to recognize the privilege of land immediately subject to the Holy See, a space of freedom, which was later confirmed at the beginning of ' Modern Age of Leo X. In 1394 the fortress was occupied by Pandolfo Malatesta, the leader of a band of Bretons, and in 1404 by Andrea Tomacelli: in the latter event, the castle was partly destroyed by the same stately Stronconesi to get rid of the garrison and later rebuilt, if it is Admittedly, in 1493, the passage of Pius II Piccolomini, the place still looked "fournished.
In 1214 he was again occupied by Ladislas of Naples in 1433 by Francesco Sforza, who rule the roost in Umbria in the pay of the Visconti.
In 1527 during the passage of the imperial troops, the Landsknecht, in 1527, when troops of the Constable of Bourbon, on their way to Rome, they camp at Stroncone with the intention to lay siege to the castle to plunder, only the 'intervention of Terni begs the massacre. The signs of the subsequent reconstruction are still very evident in many buildings, especially in the isolated and the walls of the town hall. Not to forget the political and economic influence exerted by the Friars Minor in the life of the town since the fifteenth century, so as to promote even Stroncone as in the main towns of Umbria, the birth of a Monte di Pietà (1466) and a Monte Frumentario (1489) with the aim of combating illegal economic activities and immoral.
In 1528 the town was briefly under the rule of Spoleto.
In 1545, reads the status of the "Magnificent Defenders of the Earth", the local militia to replace the mercenary soldiery.
In the sixteenth century the land was governed by the cardinals of the Sacred College through the office of mayor, while the end of the sixteenth century, with the administrative reform of the Papal States introduced by Sixtus V, the center was submitted directly to the Apostolic Chamber, which depended by the pope himself, and was ruled by a commissioner resident apostolic. For this reason, as in other towns of the Papal States (see the case of Rieti and Terni), next to the Palazzo dei Priori, seat of local government, was built the Apostolic Palace, the seat device of the central government, with the governor's residence and the adjoining prison, expression of the judiciary that the governor explicit. The population of the castle, which at the end of the 500 consisted of only five hundred souls. While the county did not reach six hundred homes, was not divided into territorial divisions, but in the two parishes of St. Angelo and St. Nicholas. As there is no parish boundaries, the two colleagues were carefully mixed and even "acted in a funeral and exercised the care of others."
In the town is also recorded from the late Middle Ages and in modern times, the presence of three fraternities: the square of San Giovanni was the Society of Mercy charitable purposes and hospitality (in fact holding the hospital of St. Rocco); close Piazza della Rocca of the Society of the Banner, directed by the Friars Minor, the Brotherhood of Sacramento to Santa Maria di Piazza, later known as San Giovanni Vecchio and finally Santa Maria della Porta, all aggregated to the same name archconfraternities of Rome.
Among the most significant events of modern times, there is the sustained resistance by the inhabitants of Stroncone against the French troops of Napoleon, who penetrated the walls of the country only after a siege lasting seven days and deceit. In 1809, the younger brother Angelo Coletti, encouraged by the disorder of post-revolutionary period, with an escort horse penetrates the night in the convent of San Damiano in Assisi and steals the body of Blessed Anthony Stroncone to return to his home town. City Hall became the Kingdom of Italy, Stroncone was joined to the town of Terni in 1929. Only after the Second World War, in 1947, regained self-government.

annjackman, nikkitta, Budapestman, delpeoples, paninho, Sonata11, siamesa, Didi has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9199 W: 132 N: 17655] (114993)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2011-02-06
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/4, 1/15 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2011-02-11 9:00
Viewed: 1980
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9199 W: 132 N: 17655] (114993)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH