Photos

Photographer's Note

Piediluco
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Piediluco is a fraction of the town of Terni (TR).
Located at 375 m above sea level, the country is inhabited by 523 residents. It stands beside its lake that feeds, together with the waters of the river Velino, the cascade of Marmore.
Archaeological excavations in the area were allowed to recover the remains of settlements dating to the Late Bronze Age. It was later conquered by the Sabines, and, starting from the third century BC, it passed to the Romans. [
In a document dated 1028 citing the Castle de Luco (on the summit of the Rock, from Latin lucus, grove) and de Curtem Postro (lakeside), as a possession that Bernard D'Arrochar, feudal lord of place, which grants to the monks of Farfa. The fortress was characterized by a tower with a square tower, which now only the ruins remain. Below was a small village in an area called the Hill.
In 1208, St. Francis came to this country. In 1244 Frederick II went to those places Brancaleoni, who fortified the castle.
In 1330, Rieti and Spoleto joined forces to destroy the fortress (a Ghibelline fortress), but were stopped in this aim by Pope Benedict XII. In 1364, Fernando Blasco Belviso Brancaleoni acquired by the Rock and expanded it. He was killed in 1368 during a revolt the following year, the papal troops sent by Pope Urban V and controlled by Ugolino da Montemarte, caught, prosecuted and summarily executed 50 men in the country. [1]
From 1393 to 1439 was dominated by the Trinci of Foligno, who endowed it with a new statute (Statuta Castri Pedisluci). Later, Pope Eugenius IV to be submitted to papal authority and later, in 1453, Pope Nicholas V made him worship the captain Matteo Rieti Poiani. In 1578 the estate was divided among Farrattini-Poiani Poiani and Amelia. Subsequently, the feudal estates passed Pianciani accounts, which they gave the barons in the late nineteenth century Franchetti.
Goes back to this period the great leap of fame Piediluco, thanks to the fact they are often placed in the Grand Tour with a visit to the waterfalls Marmore.
Until 1927 he was an independent town belonging to the province of Perugia.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9192 W: 132 N: 17645] (114897)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2012-04-01
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/13.0, 1/640 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2012-06-03 3:48
Viewed: 1067
Points: 58
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9192 W: 132 N: 17645] (114897)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH