Photos

Photographer's Note

The huge Convent of Santa Maria Annunziata , better known as the Hermit of Hermitage Cesi or Portaria rises along the ancient road that connected in the past Carsulae in Spoleto through the mountains Martan on . Mount Torre Maggiore, about 800 meters above sea level - Here, among the ravines of the mountain where a hermitage existed , probably in the fourth century had withdrawn the holy bishops and Syriac Procolo Volusianus and beside which the Benedictines erected a chapel which was to serve as a refuge for a small community of monks as a place of worship for the shepherds who moved seasonally in the area. The convent was founded in 1213 by St. Francis of Assisi , who lived for a time in a cave near a church that had given him the bishop of Spoleto , probably the chapel of St. Catherine then decorated with frescoes school of Benozzo Gozzoli. The church , dedicated to the Annunciation , had the same dimensions of the Portiuncula of Assisi convent and the body gradually grew in size and importance. The presence of the friars became more numerous as time to reach the thirty attendance and it was necessary to enlarge the body convent in later stages. In 1420 there came also St. Bernardine of Siena , whose work was responsible for the present appearance. The monastic life continued to be intense and fruitful , and the center of high and rigorous Franciscan spirituality .
Tradition has it that the Franciscan Crown , still recited by families minoritiche , had originated here in the fifteenth century. The tradition also speaks of strange things happened here: we are told of Blessed Francis of Pavia who tamed a wolf , of Blessed John Spanish to which Jesus appeared close to what today is called the Holy Holm .
Given the very isolated position , in 700 ' the Napoleonic suppression of the convent was not affected but , after the unification of Italy , was finally struck by Pepoli decree of 1860, by which the monastery was state property . The friars were allowed to live there until January 17 , 1867, the day on which the arrival of the police and their threats , made them run away. Since then never returned. Up to thirty years ago in a state of complete abandonment friar Bernardino , the current friendly landlord, in the '90s he began the restoration with the help of many volunteers . And today the restoration of the Hermit is entirely completed .

papagolf21, PiotrF, Sonata11, danos, snunney, pierrefonds has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9436 W: 132 N: 18215] (118290)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2014-05-04
  • Categories: Nature, Architecture
  • Exposure: f/10.0, 1/400 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2014-05-06 10:17
Viewed: 632
Points: 28
Discussions
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9436 W: 132 N: 18215] (118290)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH