Photos

Photographer's Note

Santa Maria Assunta
The cathedral of Spoleto, dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta , is located on an area previously occupied by various religious buildings , including St. Mary of the Bishopric , St. Primianus . The big bell tower, which are widely used materials for the examination dates from the end of the eleventh century , the facade can be considered as the facade was completed in 1207 , the year in which it was affixed , and signed the splendid mosaic of Solsterno .
The porch was added during the Renaissance by Ambrogio Barocci .
The interior redone by the will of Maffeo Barberini , Pope Urban VIII , former bishop of Spoleto, is dignified architecture of the Florentine Arrigucci still retains the original flooring and is rich in works of art.
Among the principal at the beginning of the left aisle, the Cross painted by Alberto Sotio ( 1187 ) , on the right the chapel frescoed by Pinturicchio, the magnificent apse fresco cycle by Filippo Lippi between 1467 and 1469 Stories of the Virgin .
Also interesting are the chapels of St. Anne , built in the fourteenth century. as an extension of the north transept , which contains traces of frescoes from the fourteenth to the sixteenth century, that of Holy Icons ( in the right transept ) , inside which is the precious tablet donated in 1185 by the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa to the city, a sign of peace , and that of the Relics , where is kept the letter written by St. Francis to Brother Leo .

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9513 W: 132 N: 18432] (119497)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2014-04-20
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/9.0, 1/320 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2014-04-21 3:31
Viewed: 806
Points: 74
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9513 W: 132 N: 18432] (119497)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH