Photos

Photographer's Note

Scheggino
Charming village in symbiosis with the Nera River, whose waters lap at the buildings, a canal, an ancient receptacle to a mill, and separates it into two sources Valcasana help to create a "liquid medium" to great effect.
This strong presence of water has specialized activities, gastronomy and tourism offerings in this town: fishing for brown trout and prawns, a real traditional activity, has created the conditions for a specific food culture in contrast with the rest Valley, where the prevailing culture of meat, especially pork. The truffle, that here in Scheggino is the hub of all activities, gave further proof of his versatility, by binding to the noble river fish.
Scheggino is the main town in the City, which houses in its territory (35 sq km) population of 650. It includes the villages of Ceselli, Civitella, Collefabbri, Monte San Vito, Nevi, Pontuglia, San Valentino, Schioppo.
The name originates from Schiaginum and transformed into Schezzino, and in the beginning of the century XVIII into Scheggino. It originated as a medieval castle, with the typical triangular structure of the fort on the hillside, crowned at the top of the lookout tower square, halfway up a rocky outcrop overlooking the town. The original structure is still clearly visible complaint, the strategic function of the settlement of a necessary step to guard the ancient road of the Nera Valley, at the confluence of the trail along the mountain Valcasana.
Constructed on the left bank of the Black River, next to a narrow valley leading to a forced passage of the old road, it is believed that it was erected in defense of the Saracen invasions. He assumed, like other similar nuclei nearby (Sant'Anatolia), from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. some strategic and economic importance staying true to the Duchy of Spoleto; loyalty which caused a double siege and subsequent looting by the enemies of this city in 1391 and in 1552, during the insurrection of the castles of the Nera Valley, which had initially Scheggino party, led by Petrone from Vallo Brancaleoni and ice axes. Shortly after the siege was repeated by other rebels in Spoleto, led by Jerome forint, but the assailants were repulsed by local women.
In the centuries after the quiet of the place was no longer upset. Remain under the Spoleto until the eighteenth century, enjoying, however, a special autonomy, with staff of its constitution in 1561. The walls and towers were restored between 1509 and 1521. A century later, suggesting that they were profoundly changed the times, the towers were turned into lofts, while the castle became a quarry for the construction of houses along the noble river. The economic importance of Scheggino increased under the Papal States, when, in 1635, Urban VIII, for the intervention of Cardinal Poli owns a villa here, did enable a smelter to process iron ore extracted from the mine of Monteleone di Spoleto by adapting the way of the Valcasana the transport of materials.

Oral tradition has it that the gates of the Pantheon and St. Peter's Basilica were built precisely in this foundry.
The oldest part, called “Capo la terra” grew in XIII century close to the rock, probably to accommodate people from the nearby feudal castle-well after its destruction. This first circle, it was leaning, sloping down towards the valley, the expansion of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, completed in seconds. XVI with the creation of the village, situated beside the canal to supply the mill.
Emerge from the building fabric of the country the Palazzo Graziani-century manor house. XVIII built behind the first wall and one of the corner towers, and the Town Hall settled in a single building of the century. XVII, characterized by a mansard roof or covered loggia, which will in sec. XX to the public by raising the right side of a modern city tower equipped with a clock and bells. In the historical city records are kept of the town of Scheggino, from sec. XIV suppressed Chisels and municipalities, and Monte Civitella S. Vito. At the southern end of Via di Borgo opens, on the ancient road in the direction of the Nera Valley Tavern chisel, the seventeenth-century Porta del Pozzo, known for the presence of a source.
At the other end of the street meets the Building Profiles, a typical eighteenth-century mansion, now divided into several apartments. The building, recently renovated, still retains the main entrance, lobby entrance, the courtyard with the nymph and stairs to upper floors, originally included a garden space in front of the greenhouse, the fishpond.
Under a wing of the building profiles, you open the door Valcasana of sec. XVI, where once branched off a section of the "Iron Way" that is the road used for transporting materials in mines and ironworks, which reached Scheggino Monteleone through Caso and Gavelli.
The road was upgraded in sec. XVII, under Pope Urban VIII, through the good offices of Cardinal Fausto Poli by Usigni. The area outside the Porta Valcasana has lots of spring water and aquatic vegetation, so that from the beginning of the century. XIX, was a public park.
The park consists of a tree-lined boulevard, the "Fiumarella" fed by springs that is located not far upstream from a small artificial lake used for fishing and fishing for trout farming.
The park is complete with the upstream pool, tennis courts, the green area, the pinewood, camping and football field.
Valcasana sources are now a lovely natural garden, where the waters flow peacefully among holm oak, Aleppo pine and boxwood, a very pleasant environment to relax and rejuvenate the spirit.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9425 W: 132 N: 18185] (118143)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2013-06-22
  • Categories: Castles, Architecture
  • Exposure: f/3.5, 1/15 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2013-06-23 5:49
Viewed: 718
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9425 W: 132 N: 18185] (118143)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH